Skip to main content

DEDICATION

DEDICATION

Dedicated to Tina Su Cooper, a U.S. woman whose husband, my editor Douglas Winslow Cooper, in his article entitled “Like a Plaintive Melody” wrote [in 2014] the following words expressing his profound grief though full of love to Tina Su Cooper, his wife:


Most mornings I sing to my beloved wife, as she lies immobile in the hospital bed we have at our home:

You were meant for me. I was meant for you.
Nature patterned you and when she was done,
You were all the sweet things rolled up in one.
You’re like a plaintive melody
That never lets me free,
For I’m content the angels must have sent you
And they meant you just for me.
******************
*“You Were Meant for Me (Broadway Melody of 1940)” by Nacio Herb Brown and Arthur Freed; lyrics © EMI Music Publishing Co.
******************

This song captures the bitter-sweet nature of our current situation, happy to be together, sometimes sad that Tina’s ill-health has limited her so greatly. She has been quadriplegic and ventilator-dependent, fed and medicated through a gastric tube, for the past ten years, and she will be so for as long as she lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CH. 1 OF PRISONERS OF HOPE BY F.E.C. NWAIWU

PRISONERS OF HOPE BY FORTUNE E.C. NWAIWU CHAPTER ONE  I was awakened by a loud volley of strange voices in the middle of night.  I raised my head to listen to what was happening, but I could not grasp anything due to different voices talking, weeping, and groaning all at the same time. The sound which their moving feet made indicated that all was not well. They matched to the church compound and then went to the parsonage. They knocked on the door persistently, "Sir Peterson, open the door. Sir, open, please!" they cried. I was in the church watching through one of the glass windows what was happening. None of them thought that I was sleeping in the church. If they had been kidnappers, I would have escaped from them. This was what I thought. I learnt a lesson: let no man know where you sleep in the night, for security reasons. Though I did not know exactly what had happened, I remembered what happened to one bishop. He was aroused one night and told that there w...

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS I would like to express my profound gratitude to my editor, Douglas Winslow Cooper, Ph.D., a former Harvard University professor, for his valuable contribution and support in editing this literary piece through his company, WriteYourBookWithMe.com I also thank David Chidi Eberechi and his wife Esther Dave-Eberechi, for their financial support and encouragement offered to me which enabled me to realize this creative work of artistry. Above all, I thank my lovely mother, Nwaiwu Juliana, and my wife, Chidinma Nwaiwu, who have helped me, encouraging me to write even when there was no hope of realizing this huge dream. Also thanks to my siblings Nwaiwu Gift, Nwaiwu Promise Nnamdi, Nwaiwu ThankGod Uchenna, Nwaiwu Temple Chizuru, Nwaiwu Confidence, Nwaiwu Happiness Chinyere, and my sister in-law Ogechi Nwaiwu and her children.

CH. 7 OF PRISONERS OF HOPE BY F.E.C. NWAIWU

Prisoners of Hope by Fortune Emerence Chinemerem Nwaiwu CHAPTER SEVEN Fabian remembered the early prophecy spoken concerning him that he would not succeed in his marriage unless his father blessed it. He then asked Bianca’s hand in marriage. Bianca, a pretty daughter of Rodwell, agreed to marry Fabian. Fabian knew much about their tradition in terms of marriage. He was nineteen years old, and Bianca was a year older than he. “Now that you’ve gladdened my heart, would your father be a party to our union? Fabian asked. “I am afraid he may not.” “Don’t fuse negative thoughts into your feeble mind,” said Bianca, “my father will accept you as his son in-law. But since you have spent a lot of money for your father’s illness, would you be able to pay the huge amount of money for the bride price?” “Would that be a bone of contention?” Fabian asked. “No, you can negotiate with my father,” Bianca yelled. Many suitors who came to marry Bianca had disappeared when they saw the marri...